Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hidden Valley jasper and peridot pendant .


Grossular garnet necklace and Hidden Valley pendant

"ON PEUT REALISER UNE FOULE DE CHOSES SANS BOUGER DE CHEZ SOI."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery



You know you found your calling when work feels like play most of the time. This is how it feels to make jewelry. It is not all fun and games--setting designer cabs for gives me a headache and I loathe marketing--but all in all, it is one of the hardest jobs I've ever loved. The necklace above is the prize of my autumn collection. The pendant looks like a painting of a tree sheltering a stream. To make the necklace, I experimented with green jade, pearls, pineapple stone. I ended up choosing grossular garnets from Africa. They are vivid enough to make the green pop without overwhelming the delicate nature of the green tracery of the tree and stream. I hold this piece of jewelry in my hand and I marvel at the beauty of the stones. I marvel at the work of African miners and stone cutters who made the beads and I offer a little prayer for the Idaho folks who brought the beauty of this piece of jasper to light. I hope it goes to a good home.

No comments:

Post a Comment