Friday, November 27, 2009

FINDING BALANCE








These days, there are so many exotic ways of finding balance that to choose gardening and cooking instead of Pilates or Qi Gong may seem implistic. No matter. I find that both are meditative, calming pursuits. They help me reach a place where the clamor of the world around me recedes into a subdued hum. They help see frantic activity as an effort to silence serious questions. An acquaintance's desperate search for public approval, another's relentless social climbing, yet another's quarrelsome disposition recede into the distance. I cannot choose who lives near me nor can I alter their behavior. I can only choose how I react to them and best of all, I can choose productive ways to spend my time. Often I choose to grow something beautiful and to to cook something delectable. It works.






















OAT BREAD



1 package yeast



6 cups unbleached flour



1 cup oatmeal



2 cups water



1 tablespoon salt



4 tablespoons sugar






Mix yeast with three cups flour and oatmeal. Reserve three cups flour. Place water, sugar, salt and oil in a pan and heat to 120F. Combine dry and liquid ingredients and beat, using a dough hook, adding remaining flour as needed. Place kneaded dough in an oiled bowl and cover it. Allow it to rise twice. Shape into three round loaves and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment