Tuesday, April 19, 2011

WHEN IT RAINS


Thalia daffodil and variegated vinca  in a liqueur glass.

Alchemilla mollis. 



Brunnera macrophilla Emerald Mist. Photo by Willoway Nursery.



It pours and pours. Planting is out of the question, but  as soon as it clears, I must considers plants that look their best after it rains. Alchemilla mollis is one of them. So is Brunera macrophilla, which has the added attraction of lovely vhina blue flowers reminiscent of forget-mets. A propos which, water loving forget-me-nots is another good choice for rain garden. It can be started easily from seeds.  I have had good results with the 20 cent packages of seeds one finds at discount stores. 






Bergenia cordifolia Bressingham Ruby.


It pours and pours. Planting is out of the question, but  as soon as it clears, I must consider plants that look their best after it rains. Alchemilla mollis is one of them. So is Brunera macrophilla, which has the added attraction of lovely vhina blue flowers reminiscent of forget-mets. A propos which, water loving forget-me-nots is another good choice for rain garden. It can be started easily from seeds.  I have had good results with the 20 cent packages of seeds one finds at discount stores. Bergenias, heucheras and hostas and bluebells round out my list. The catch is that all these are fodder for deer.
Myosotis palustris, forget-me-not. 




 Daffodils are not particularly good for rain gardens. The larger varieties flop to the ground after a downpour. However, the smaller Thalia and  Tete-a-Tete withstand a battering from the elements. I could plant acres of green eyed Thalia should a fairy godparent send me bafs of money. Look at the above photo and you will understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment