Saturday, February 4, 2012

EVERY DAY IS VALENTINE'S DAY II


Left--Envelope with stamped and hand tinted image pasted on paper doily layered over  yellow  paint chip. 
Right--Card made with stamped and hand tinted  image of tea pot pasted on cupcake wrapper.
A used manila envelope cut into fourths and layered with cupcake wrapper and lacy paper doily
 makes great  mailers for garden seeds and small trinkets.
Valentine card and envelope made with paint chips, stamped image and paper doily.





An unexpected snowfall  calls for a well provided wood box, a pot of soup, a loaf of crisp bread. I had the latter on hand, after a productive day in the kitchen.  The latter required a trip to the wood pile where my invaluable wood guy had left me a cord of seasoned  cherry logs. That is when I found out that my efficient Scandinavian   wood latest batch of Valentines I intend to send to distant friends early next week.
The first Valentine I made this year was a sachet filled with lavender from my garden. I designed it for  someone whose vision and seriously impaired , which is why it was important to place  texture and fragrance above elements with great visual appeal. I created a little felt heart   embroidered with  French knots, clear seed beads and a cotton fabric applique that combines  a satisfyingly tactile quality and the rich scent of lavender blossom. This was such fun to make that I decided to add a similar sachet to the cards I am sending out.

 I like all  Valentines  though I deplore the commercialization of the holiday. Rather than buying mass produced cards I prefer to make my own. I use card stock base layered with  stamped, hand tinted images, paint chips, paper doilies,  cupcake wrappers and recycled  paint chips, lunaria (money plant) discs  from my garden  and candy wrappers. am particularly happy with  the You Are My Cup of Tea cards shown  in today and yesterday's posts.   I am equally happy with my oatmeal variation on the  cast iron bread recipe from Kinfolks Magazine   I read about in Alice Paulson's blog 


Oat bread baked in cast iron Dutch oven.










Chicken soup with egg noodles.
Orange curd--4 eggs beaten with half a cup of sugar, half a teaspoon cinnamon, half a teaspoon vanilla, three quarters of a cup of orange juice. Cook at medium temperature for approximately ten minutes or until it begins to thicken. 
Homemade hot chocolate mix.





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment